Thursday, July 30, 2009
Wednesday, July 29, 2009
Monday, July 27, 2009
We loved with a love that was more than love. ~Edgar Allan Poe
Saturday, July 25, 2009
but i'm still going to keep him. and really, who can resist this smile? that is, when it makes an appearance. which is definitely more frequently than it was once upon mason's miserable early months of life.
his giggles, his expressions, and the way he scrunches up his face to smile... he melts my heart. when he is in a good mood... its like the hallelujah chorus is playing softly in the background.
but talk about dramatic. man, that boy can swing abruptly... laughing one second, crying huge crocodile tears the next... and then laughing again before the tears dry. its a bit of a roller coaster with that one.
but we've made it 10 months and he is the little boy of our family i missed before i even knew he existed. i'll take the fussiness and drama. and the strong will. he has some leadership qualities in him. i've always said i wanted a happy, easy-going baby who can make the first year of life somewhat enjoyable and peaceful. i never got that, but its ok. passive people-pleasers don't change the world.
we're raising world changers around here for sure.
Tuesday, July 21, 2009
my birthday celebration later that evening was complete with trick candles. bennett, perfectly content to hyperventilate during his persistent quest to extinguish the stubborn flame, didn't even seem to notice how incredibly angry ella was at these candles. once anthony told her they were trick candles she said, "that is so rude!" and pouted for a bit.
Sunday, July 19, 2009
so i'll go ahead and tell you. i'm 32. (wait, that's right, isn't it? born in '77... so plus 9, carry the one...) i miss the days where you didn't have to stop and think about your age. i feel like this was the case anywhere from age 4 to age 24.
speaking of 24, i still feel like that's about how old i am. just out of college. young and cool. driving a cool car. listening to cool music. wearing cool clothes. my whole life ahead of me. and the whole night ahead of me. none of this, i better get in bed because its 10:00 and it is way late and one of my kids will be up by 6 if not before.
but no, i'm 32. this post is sort of a reminder to me, not just a notification for you. and i don't feel like i'm sharing some huge secret in admitting my age. i mean, you could figure it out on your own. much like estimating the age of a tree by the rings in its trunk, you could do the same with the fine lines around my eyes. or gray hairs per square inch of my head. or...
i keep hearing "30 is the new 20." this of course is ridiculous, but i don't care. i'll take what i can get. this being the case, right now, i'm only 22. i can still eat whatever i want because i have the metabolism of an ant and manage on one hour of sleep. (and by manage, i mean, i hardly feel tired. unlike these days where some days i have to "manage" on an hour of sleep and it is dangerous for all.)
in all seriousness though, i have had a wonderful life. not like i'm trying to say i'm on my way out and about to die, i'm so old. but just, up to this point, i've been very blessed.
really, i had a childhood that would make the cleaver's jealous. (and a mom way cooler and far more realistic than june)
a husband who is my best friend. (and he cleans!)
3 kids, who are so darn cute and absolutely hilarious i'm perfectly content to spend my days filled with their laughter.
friends and family who make me feel loved and important.
i live in the greatest country ever. (at least, that was the plan)
my house is air-conditioned. (even if it isn't on the beach...)
and i just found a bag of twix candy bars in my cupboard. (and so much for that tummy-tuck.)
happy birthday to me. cheers!
Thursday, July 16, 2009
and this was all before 8:30 this morning. poor guy.
with bennett, if things aren't right, he's either tired, hungry, or sick. but it all started looking up for him when we went to the library this morning and he found the movie Wall-E.
he was very excited. very. not because he's ever seen it, mind you. but he has desperately wanted to. and why this eager desire? because wall-e is on a pair of his choneys. and every. single. time. he puts them on, he says, "i want to see holl-e." "its called wall-e, bud." "yeah, i want to see it, mom. can we see holl-e?" same conversation when we pass the redbox at the grocery store.
those pixar people know what they are doing. if you want something to become popular, just put it on children's underwear. if they wear it and don't want to pee on it, its a big deal.
so bennett its happy now. it's not such a hard day after all.
and certainly not for me either.
wanna know why?
i mean, sorry to brag and all, but my husband is amazing.
i came home from the library and the house was clean!
and i'm not talking he-put-his-shoes-away-rinsed-a-dish-and-put-his-laundry-in-the-hamper. no, this amazing stud of a specimen vacuumed, MOPPED, cleaned bathrooms, picked up clutter, cleaned the kitchen counters... i don't know even know what i'm going to do with my time today. i figure i need to spend some of it bragging to the blogging world about how amazing he is.
oh, he is.
i'm so excited about my clean house. what did i do to deserve this?
its not even my birthday.
oh wait... it almost is. :) (that's right. please
i guess this year i don't need to whine about wanting a housekeeper.
thanks, my love.
Monday, July 13, 2009
1. amazing grace
2. life is beautiful
3. pride and prejudice
4. lord of the rings (yes, i'm counting all 3 as one movie)
5. bourne movies (yes, again, i am counting all 3 as one movie)
7. 10 things i hate about you (some movies on my list fall into the life changing/inspiring type movies. this is not one of them. however, there is something about seeing this movie on some random channel late at night that brings a smile to my face. i'm all about fun movies set in high school where some guy pays some other guy to ask out some bitter man-hater so he can date her sister. its just SO realistic. and so very entertaining.)
9. to end all wars (this is one of those movies i never care to watch again because it is so graphic, but i think it is incredibly well written and the message is fantastic. very inspiring.)
10. good will hunting (yes, i think that they seriously need some soap in their potty-mouths. but this movie is brilliantly written and very entertaining.)
and really, i go through phases and can very easily read this list in like a month or a year and say to myself, that one is ridiculous. just like if i had a list back in junior high i would see space camp on it and even though the thought of accidentally being launched into space is so incredibly awesome, it really can't compete with the above list.
and since we are talking movies and all, why not talk about those movies i often find on others top 10 list... and i just don't get it.
1. braveheart. sorry.
2. forrest gump. maybe it was all the hype before i saw it. its ok, but i just didn't think it was all that great.
3. star wars. i mean...???
4. rocky movies. sure, i cried when apollo got killed and all, but i just don't think these movies are top 10 material.
5. shawshank redemption. more like shawshank depression. the things that happened to him in prison were just so disturbing i wasn't able to rejoice with the rest of america when he crawled through sewage and escaped. just didn't like it.
so, what did i forget? and what about you? post and share your faves with us.
Sunday, July 12, 2009
- i took the "weekly" out of the title since i'm having a hard time with the whole "weekly" aspect of random weekly tidbits. its a lot of pressure. so instead of feeling like i need to post tidbits no one really cares about every week, i'm changing the title. lucky you.
- bennett is in the big kids sunday school class now, not the little nursery anymore. you know, since he's 3 and all. and he has been loving it. but this week when i picked him up, he kinda scowled at me and said, "some girl yelled at me." "was it your teacher?" "no. some girl." "was it a kid in your class?" "no. some girl." "why did she yell at you?" "because of the puzzle." "what did she say?" bennett pouts a little and very seriously says, "mom. i'm not going back to that place anymore."
- anthony and i just re-watched the movie Amazing Grace. if you haven't seen that yet, i don't know what you are waiting for. it is so inspiring. if i had a top ten list of movies, it would be close to the top. in fact, maybe i'll make one... i feel a blog post coming on... anyhow, people like william wilberforce make me feel pretty insignificant. thats ok though because i'm tire
lessly molding the world changers of tomorrow. stay tuned for what God will accomplish through my wee ones.
- ella's prayer: "dear lord, thank you that my mommy is so nice and made us macaroni and cheese for lunch. she is such a great mommy. she loves us SO much! i'm SO excited. amen." yeah, she's easy to please.
- mason has taken to spitting lately. its kinda cute. except for when i am feeding him green beans.
Friday, July 10, 2009
and various other ways to enjoy the much cooler and far greener great outdoors up north.
such as giving my children a fear of all things green when cautioning about poison ivy.
enjoying caterpillarsbennett discovered that such creatures do indeed exist outside of children's books. there are actually crawling animals besides scorpions and lizards. who knew? (by the way, the count is now at 10. 10 scorpions found INSIDE OUR HOME) naptime outside where there is actually shade and a cool breeze
this time of year, i wonder how it is phoenix became the booming metropolis it is today (and why the h.e.c.k. we live here. yeah i guess the winters are nice and all, but why haven't we all wised up come may and gotten out of here. its ridiculous, really.)
so heading up north was a nice reprieve from our furnace city where everything is a depressing shade of desert brown.
and aside from better temperatures, i also think it would be quite fun to live in a quaint little town that shuts down main street on the 4th of july so adorable little kids such as my own can march in a fantastic parade.
yeah, he loved it too:
and someday, i think i would rather enjoy living where we can sit outside on summer evenings and share popsicles and homemade ice cream.