Monday, June 29, 2009

of the 7 deadly sins...

...gluttony is my favorite.

why? because i like good food. and by good food, i mean a fun night at a fancy restaurant with my husband and no kids. and also chocolate molten lava cake that oozes all over my plate.

what was the special occasion?

summer.

since it is HOT in phoenix, we added to our night of gluttony a stay at a very fancy place that fortunately falls into the "great deals in the summer" category where resorts are desperate for clients to come and melt by their pool while the temperature outside resembles a pre-heating oven.

but instead of melting by the pool, we have greatly enjoyed sitting in our generously air conditioned room doing close to NOTHING AT ALL. which is what most parents of 3 wee ones like to do when they have a night away.

also, we like to try on our complimentary you-can-take-them-home slippers (called flip-flops where i come from) and very fancy bathrobes. oh, and of course there is returning from our gluttony filled dinner to find the "turn-down service" placed mints on our pillows, put our slippers on special mats by our bed, and lit candles all over our room.

and really, the steak was amazing. AMAZING. (although i do think that the whole idea of not actually having to clean the kitchen after such a meal adds somewhat to the deliciousness of it all.)

and yes, this is way different from my life at home.

i mean, not that i would actually like it if this were my life at home. its nice for a special getaway but if i ever develop a lifestyle where people pull the cover back for me to climb in bed and light candles around me all the time to relax me, filet mignon for dinner and sleeping as late as i want in extravagant linens, please stage an intervention.

its nice to be tucked into a mountain with beautiful views of mountains and the most dense allotment of green trees found in phoenix, but it's just not the real world. i mean, i think our cute little buick looks quite nice tucked between maseratis and porsches in the parking lot and all, but i look forward to heading home and kissing my kids and diving back into the exhausting cycle of games/baths/toys/naps/dishes/cooking/cleaning because that is a little more realistic.

i am grateful for the life God has given me.

and nights of luxury away from my life help put that in perspective.

*night of gluttony and luxury brought to you in part by grammy and poppa. we are forever grateful.

5 comments:

debby94 said...

Oh Stephanie! That sounds so wonderful! Where did you stay? I think Doug & I are going to have a get-away sometime in July. I look forward to that!

Unknown said...

How wonderful! I'm so glad you got to get away, sounds lovely :)

Rachael Schepemaker said...

What an awesome treat! I hope you and your hubby enjoyed every moment. I feel like I haven't seen you in forever. I'll call you soon!

Megan O. said...

Which resort did you go to? We were kind of contemplating trying to do a night "away" at one of them. Sounds like you guys had a great time!

Lisa said...

how AWESOME is this! sounds like you guys enjoyed yourselves. i think these types of nights away for parents like us of little ones are SOOOO needed. how fun!