Thursday, December 18, 2008

well said, king david

sometimes i wonder what will be on my tombstone. not so much because i am morbid (at least i don't think i am) but more because i wonder whether or not i will make it through the day. that being the case, i wonder if my kids were to chose my epitaph, would it be something they must hear me say ALL day long... "no more whining" or "do you need to go to time-out?" or "get off your sister" or "you need to listen to me." how is my little stay on this earth defined in their eyes? i think specifically of my kids because i know they see the real and true me. its hard (and not necessary) to fake it around little ones who see you at your best and worst ALL day EVERY day.

in a very rare, very quiet moment today, i read a verse that i hope will define me. "my share in life has been pleasant; my part has been beautiful." psalm 16:6

while there are many overwhelming and never-ending phases of motherhood, i wouldn't trade my life for anything. i mean, don't get me wrong, i have my moments of weakness where i would certainly choose a yacht in figi over mounds of laundry and sticky floors in arizona. but i have to say my share in life is more than pleasant. it is fantastic. and at the end of it, i hope it will be seen by others, especially in the eyes of children and husband, as beautiful for them.

well... now i'm off to print this verse above the crib, on the dishwasher, in the laundry room, next to the bathtub, above the stove... because pretty soon they'll wake up and i'm pretty sure i'm going to need a reminder.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Stephanie, I LOVE what you just said! And though I only spent a short while with you at NAU, I believe that verse is very fitting and feel quite certain your children and husband could say that without a doubt! Thanks for sharing something so sweet.

Anonymous said...

Steph, that verse is perfect. Thank you for sharing it. I think it will become my new memory verse too.

Anonymous said...

Love it and thank you for that little loving reminder us moms tend to need ever so often!